THE CASE OF PALSY
1. Relate Story.
2. Aim is to show the parallel between this and work of the church.
I. JESUS THE GREAT HEALER.
A. Healer of physical disease.
1. He had power to heal. Luke 5:17.
2. He was merciful.
B. Healer of spiritual disease---sin.
1. He has the power. 1 John 1:7.
2. He is willing. Matthew 11:28-30 "Come unto Me..."
II. THE HELPLESS.
A. The man sick with palsy.
1. They need the physician.
2. They are lost unless they obey. 2 Thess. 1:7.
3. They must be taught. John 6:44.
4. Lost without Christ. Acts 4:12.
C. The great work of the church is to bring the helpless to this Physician for healing!
III. THE HELPERS.
A. The men who brought the sick man.
1. They had faith. Luke 5:20.
2. They had sympathy for the helpless.
3. They worked to bring him to Christ.
B. Helpers in the church.
1. Must have faith in Christ.
2. Must love souls of the lost.
3. Must work to bring them to Christ.
C. Things we can do to help.
1. Attend regularly yourself.
2. Attempt to bring others, etc.
3. See examples:
a. Samaritan woman. John 4.
b. Andrew. John 1:41.
c. Philip. John 1:45.
IV. THE HINDERERS.
A. The curious multitude, scribes and Pharisees.
1. Multitude -- passive hinderers.
2. Pharisees -- active opponents.
B. Hinderers in work of the church.
1. Passive hinderers...those who won't even try.
2. Critics and fault-finders.
3. Those who claim to be Christians and refuse to follow Christ's commandments.