FIVE "PRECIOUS THINGS" IN PETER'S EPISTLES
1. There are many things in the world which men count as precious.
2. Each person thinks of something different when asked what is the most
precious thing in the world; Wife, Husband, Child, Grandchild, etc.
3. Yet, there are some things which are more precious than all the world.
4. Peter mentions them in his Epistles.
5. Flipping through Peter's 2 Epistles, we see the word Precious standing
out and meaningful:
6. "Precious-- of great price or value; costly, Highly esteemed or loved,
I. PRECIOUS CHRIST: 1 Peter 2:7.
1. The world is filled with men, yet there is
only one Savior.
Only one who is as precious as
2. He was and is so precious that men will live,
yea, even die for Him.
3. There is nothing that can measure even to the
nth of a degree as to the preciousness of Christ to humanity.
4. It is through Him that the doors of Heaven
have been opened to us; accessibility to the Heavenly Father.
II. PRECIOUS BLOOD: 1 Peter 1:18, 19.
1. This is, or course, a parallel to the
fact of His preciousness.
2. How precious is blood?? Look at the carnage of
lives in the horrible wars of the past and present. How precious the life of our
young men and women.
3. The blood of bulls and goats could not take
away sins: Heb. 10:4; 9:11-15, 22.
4. Redemption is possible only through the blood
of Christ: Eph. 1:7; 1 John 1:6,7.
5. Certainly it becomes a precious thing to us
when we realize that through the blood of Christ we have redemption, forgiveness
of sins, salvation.
III. PRECIOUS STONE: 1 Peter 2:4.
1. This is a fulfillment of prophecy, Isa. 28:16.
2. Christ is a living stone
3. Christians are lively stones built upon Him, 1
4. No other foundation can be laid, 1 Cor. 3:11,
5. This is the only foundation strong enough to
6. Mt. 7:24-27, Why is it that the same trials
cause different results?? Because of the foundation.
IV. PRECIOUS FAITH: 2 Peter 1:1.
1. Why would our faith be called precious?
2. Because it is essential to our salvation, Heb.
3. Without faith we would be lost eternally.
4. Faith obtained through or from the Word of
God, Rom. 10:17.
5. That faith will be tried - 1 Peter 1.7
1. This thought is given only one other place:
Means proof or tested.
2. Faith in Christ is tried by the temptations of
3. Our faith is tried daily.
4. Thus through temptations and trials our faith
is made stronger, more precious.
5. A verification of faith, shown by works, Jas.
6. How does the Lord know what we shall do?? He
allows us to be tested, tried.
V. PRECIOUS PROMISES: 2 Peter 1:4.
1. Exceeding great.
2. Lord is not slack concerning promises, 2 Pet.
3:9; Heb. 10:23.
3. Beyond our fondest dreams!!!
1. We fail to think how precious this, the life of the Christian, truly
2. Peter reminded these people how precious Christ, His blood, etc.,
should be to them, as he reminds us of the same.
3. Has the preciousness of these things impressed you? Their great
value?? Their tremendous price??
4. If you have never obeyed the Gospel, may I impress upon you the
preciousness of Christ, His blood, and the promises made. You are encouraged to
consider what has been done for you. But, you must accept His terms and obey His
commandments in order to benefit from His preciousness.