The Gospel According to Paul
1. Paul never claimed to write a gospel account as did Matthew, Mark, Luke
2. But he did claim to have received the gospel from Christ Himself – Gal.
1:11ff; Acts 26.16-18
3. He declared the essence of that gospel to the Corinthians – 1 Cor. 15.1-8
4. And it consists of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ
Paul preached Christ crucified
- Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures – 1 Cor. 15.2;
2 Timothy 4.13; Luke 24.47; Isaiah 53.1-12
- “For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ,
and Him crucified” – 1 Cor. 2.2
- A stumbling block to the worldly wise, but salvation to those who hear –
1 Cor. 1.23-24
- Those in Christ have died with Him and now walk in new life – Rom. 6.3-7
Paul preached Christ buried
- Isaiah 53.9 “made His grave with the wicked; but with the rich at His
- Matthew 27.57-60 – Joseph of Arimathea; rich, influential, disciple,
- Christ Jesus prophesied being buried in the earth for 3 days as Jonah
was in the belly of the sea beast
- If Christ was not buried, then He was not raised – 1 Cor. 15; Eph.
- He had to be buried in order to attain promise of God for us – Eph.
- “Buried with Him in baptism…” – Rom. 6.4
Paul preached Christ raised from the dead
- 1 Cor. 15
- Rom. 6.4
- Rom. 8:34 “Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and
furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also
makes intercession for us.”
- Col. 3.1 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which
are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.
- Paul’s gospel was the same as the other apostles
- Gal. 1.6-10 There is no other gospel - Believe it, obey it and live!