The Star In The East
1. Wise men came from the east — star was west of them. v.1.
2. Somehow they knew by this star that Christ was born. v.2.
3. Their inquiry troubled Herod — asked where his birth to be. v.3-6
4. One of most popular stories related to “Christmas.”
Origin of Christmas:
1. December 21 shortest day — light begins to visibly lengthen on
December 25 — regarded as the day of the birth of the sun-god
and festival celebrated by heathen.
2. Chrysostom (born 347 A.D., died 407 A.D.) says : “On this day,
also, the birthday of Christ was lately fixed at Rome.”
Not the Birthday of Christ.
1. His birthday cannot be ascertained by NT or any other source.
2. If it were His birthday, no time to act as men today do,
with all the drunkeness and revelry.
3. Immaterial which date is His birth — there are only two
memorials. Romans 6:3-4; 1 Corinthians 11.
4. It is fitting to recall with gratitude that He was born, and it was
a stupendous event. Luke 2:8-18.
5. No sin to observe it with thanksgiving (Isaiah 9:6-7;
Romans 14:6) but not as a day consecrated by God.
6. Should manifest the spirit of Christ by “golden rule.” Mt. 7:12
7. Should be proud of religion of Christ — only one I ever heard of
that people were ashamed of. 1 Peter 4:16; Lk. 9:26.
What was beneath that Star?
1. A visible sign of God’s love. John 3:16; Rom. 5:8; 1 John 4:9
We should love Him back. 1 John 4:19; 5:3; John 14:15
2. Hope for a Lost World. Eph. 2:12; 1 Thess. 4:13
a. Loss of hope greatest loss. Property, friends, etc.
b. Hope gives strong consolation. Heb. 6:18-19; 1 Cor. 13:13
c. Babe of Nile the hope of Israel — Babe of Bethlehem hope
of the World.
3. A great demonstration of unselfishness. Mt. 20:28
We are failures unless we serve others. Mt. 20:27; Jas. 4:3
4. The Light of the world. John 8:12
5. “Immanuel” - God with us. Mt. 1:23
a. Picture of great magnitude on ceiling hard to study.
But studied in a mirror with ease.
b. God in unapproachable light. 1 Tim. 6:16
Christ is the Mirror. John 14:9
6. World’s great Leader, must follow. 1 Peter 2:21
7. A friend of sinners. Mt. 11:19
8. The world’s Redeemer. Isa. 59:20
Three strange things:
1. That all do not follow Him, ruin or happiness.
2. That some who follow, do so far off, ashamed or indifferent.
3. That any who ever followed would forsake Him.