From Heaven To You — The Way Of Salvation
1. THROUGH WHAT MEDIUM DOES GOD SPEAK TO MAN TODAY?
His Son. Heb. 1:1,2; Matt. 17:1-8; Heb. 3:1.
2. IF CHRIST IS NOW AT THE FATHER'S RIGHT HAND IN HEAVEN, HOW CAN HE SPEAK NOW?
Through the apostles whom He chose before He left the earth. Acts 1:1,2; John 15:16,26,27; Matt. 28:16-20; Mk. 16:14-20; Lk. 24:44-49.
3. SINCE ALL OF THE A bSTLES ARE DEAD, HOW CAN CHRIST SPEAK THROUGH THEM NOW?
They have put in writing what they once delivered orally. I Tim. 3:14,15; II Tim. 3:16,17; Eph. 3:3,4; John 20:30,31; John 21:24,25.
4. WHERE, THEN, MUST WE LOOK TO FIND WHAT GOD SAYS?
In the apostles' teaching -- their writings, the New Testament. I Pet. 1: 12; Eph. 3:5; II Tim. 3:16,17; II Pet. 3:15,16.
5. IS THERE ANY SPIRITUAL NEED TO WHICH THE APOSTLES' TEACHING (DOCTRINE) DOES NOT SUPPLY THE ANSWER?
No. John 7:17; Acts 2:42; I Cor. 2:10-13; II Pet. 1:1-10; II Tim. 3:16,17.
6. WAS THE HOLY SPIRIT ACTIVE IN REVEALING THE WILL OF GOD THROUGH THE APOSTLES?
Yes. Christ promised the Holy Spirit to the apostles for their comfort and infallible guide in the things they revealed. John 14:15-18,26; 15:26,27; 16:7-14; Lk. 24:48,49; Acts 1:5,8; I Pet. 1:12; Eph. 3:5.
7. DOES THE ONE TRUE CHURCH SERVE AS THE PRESERVER OF THE APOSTLES' TEACHING?
No, the church is the result of the apostles' teaching when their teaching is believed and obeyed. Acts 18:8; I Cor. 1:2; I Cor. 15:1-4.
8. DOES THE ONE TRUE CHURCH SERVE AS THE INTERPRETER OF THE APOSTLES' TEACHING?
No, every person who can read intelligently the apostles' writing can understand their knowledge of the things God has revealed through them. Eph. 3:1-7; John 20:30,31; I Tim. 3:14,15; II Tim. 3:16,17.
9. DOES THE ONE TRUE CHURCH HAVE A CREED?
Only in the sense that Jesus Christ is the fullness of God and, as the Son of God, is therefore the object of the believer's faith; i.e., "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God." Col. 2:16; Matt. 16:16; John 20: 30,31.
10. IF JESUS CHRIST IS THE SON OF GOD, TO WHAT IS HE ENTITLED?
To everything He claimed for Himself -- "all authority, in heaven and on earth." Matt. 28:18; Phil. 2:5-11.
11. SINCE CHRIST HAS ALL AUTHORITY, WHAT IS NECESSARILY IMPLIED?
That He has the God-given right to command all men everywhere to obey Him. Heb. 5:8,9; Matt. 17:5; Acts 17:30,31.
12. WHAT COMMANDS DOES HE ISSUE TO SINNERS TO MAKE THEM SAINTS?
1) That they believe Him to be God's Son. John 8:24; Acts 16:31.
2) That they repent of their sins. Lk. 24:47; Acts 3:19; 17:30.31.
3) That they be baptized for remission of sins. Acts 2:38; 22:16; I Pet. 3:21.
13. WHAT COMMANDS DOES HE ISSUE TO SAINTS?
That they observe all things whatsoever He has commanded His apostles to teach. Matt. 28:20.
14. DOES CHRIST GIVE ANY MOTIVES FOR OBEYING HIM?
-- promises to the obedient. Mk. 16:15,16; Neb. 5:8,9.
-- warnings to the disobedient. Mk. 16:16b; II These. 1:T-9.
From The One True Church by James R. Cope, Cope Publishers, 1003 Antelope Ridge, Cedar Park, TX 78613